Men’s soccer team doubleheader

The Northwestern men’s soccer team had a busy week, with games against Jamestown and Buena Vista. The Raiders had mixed results, coming away with a win and a loss.

The Raiders took the field against the Jamestown Jimmies on Friday, Sept. 16. The game was a close-fought affair, with neither team managing to make it onto the scoreboard after 90 minutes.

As extra time dwindled, it looked like the game would end in a nil-nil draw. Unfortunately, the Jimmies managed to score as time expired, scraping by with a 1-0 win.

After the heartbreak on Friday, the Raiders hosted Buena Vista on Wednesday, Sept. 21.

This was a much more offensive affair for NW, with our first goal coming a minute into play on an assist from sophomore Hartrick Tarr to fellow sophomore Tyler Limmer.

BVU was able to answer midway through the first half, tying things up before sophomore Connor Gisby scored the go-ahead goal for NW.

Early in the second half BVU scored to tie the game up at 2-2. In the end Limmer and the Red Raider offense proved too much, with second half goals from Tarr and Limmer to secure a 4-2 win.

Senior captain and defensive anchor Dylan Hengst weighed in on the team’s doubleheader this week.

“The Jamestown game was a tough one to swallow, but I thought our guys showed real grit to keep working until the final whistle,” Hengst said. “We were able to bounce back and put a couple more pieces into place to pick up a win against Buena Vista.”

Hengst is also looking to keep the positive momentum going forward.

“We’ve been displaying some positive things and some things we need to work on this season, but we hope to put it all together and build off of our performance against BVU as we head into conference this weekend,” Hengst said.

The results from this week bring the Raiders’ season record to 3-6. NW looks to open up GPAC play with a win tomorrow (Sept. 24) as they travel to Concordia.


Sophomore Daniel Zapata attempts to blow by a Jamestown defender in their game against the Jimmies last Friday. The Raiders lost 1-0 in extra time.