Hello freshman, transfers and returners who have not gotten out of their room much. I am here to give you the ultimate NW top 10 list.
10. The Yoga Studio Plaza Dealio by the Science Building – I just wanted to touch on this because it is a controversial topic. Why did we build it? Who knows. Does anyone use it? Not really, no. Does it look fine? Sure.
9. Mark DeYounge – I mean, who doesn’t love the guy! He’s 6’6, built like a Greek god, smiles a lot, has nice hair, good style, is very personable and reads us the Bible. He has a tendency to be corny every once and a while and refuses to let us out of chapel a single minute early, but all in all, a good dude.
8. Memes – Whether it is calling ourselves the Red Riders, mentioning that you can buy 60 tacos for 100 dollars, Brian Vanden Berg and Black V beef, joking about ring by spring or making fun of chapel, the inside jokes will allow us to forever make fun of NW.
7. Not Winter – NW honestly has a beautiful campus. The travesty is that for 90 percent of the time we are on campus, everything is covered in snow and ice. Needless to say, I am just trying to tell you to enjoy the non-snowy NW. Ready yourself for the upcoming -26 degree mornings.
6. Professors – My dad made me put this in here. You are welcome, Professor VanDerWerff.
5. Mark DeYounge – Name so nice you have to say it twice! I mean, have you seen this guy in a short-sleeve shirt? Welcome to the gun show, baby! And yeah, the Bible and chapel and all that. Did you know he has a cute dog too?
4. Colenbrander Hall – Yeah, yeah, yeah. I am sure other resident halls have good dorm life, too. But I think we all know that Coly is by far the greatest dorm on campus. All you need to do is get your doctor to sign a form stating you have some health condition that requires an air conditioner.
4. The Caf – UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT: I love the caf (except for weekends). Maybe COVID-caf just made me more thankful for what I missed. The sandwich line is to die for. Stacy is the best chef in America. I can have Taco Tuesday every week. Fried eggs every morning. The variety is vastly superior to high school lunch. I am just saying, things could be much worse. I am just going to keep happily eating my turkey sandwich and rice.
3. Sports – Raiders row! NW has top-notch sports programs all around! Football has an exciting game against Morningside this weekend. Volleyball is killing it once again. Both soccer teams have had exhilarating wins. Cross Country is making running look good. And on top of that all, winter sports are entering the beginning of their season. Let’s do what we can to get Dr. Micah Parker to smile.
2. LOVE IN THE AIR – NW is one of the best mating grounds in America. Every year, hundreds of students come together and find love. What more can you ask from a small, private, Christian college than to match-make a bunch of 20-year-old kids?!
1. PGC – The GOAT – PGC has made NW great. I don’t know what else could possibly be number one on this list. Seeing him from across campus is like winning the lottery. Sitting within his vicinity at lunch makes you feel like a champion. A true leader. PGC is what makes Raiders Stand Out.